It is now clear that the Covid-19 virus will be CIRCULATING WIDELY for at least the next year before we have a vaccine, and effective treatment is currently not available. Most of us are still SUSCEPTIBLE to this novel virus. We will need to think about our ‘readiness’ every time we leave our houses. This is our new reality.
The GOOD NEWS is that there is a lot we can do to ensure that our bodies have the best possible defenses to handle a new and potentially dangerous virus.
Although I have heard a lot of ‘eat right and get exercise’, America’s current medical system is simply not adequately addressing the root cause issues that can mean the difference between thriving and not surviving. How we as a nation are addressing our underlying health issues is a huge contributor to why so many people are suffering and dying during this pandemic.
Unfortunately, our current health care system is not set up to help us to best prepare our bodies and immune systems to handle this virus should we become infected. In fact, NOBODY is talking about it.
The responsibility, therefore, lies with each of us.
We know what, in addition to age, puts our bodies at increased risk for a poor outcome with COVID-19:
- Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure
- Lung Disease
- Immune suppression due to illness or medications
Other underlying and maybe undiagnosed health issues. These may be:
- An inadequately functioning or overburdened immune system
- An overactive immune system (as in autoimmune or autoinflammatory disorders)
- Certain nutritional deficiencies.
Our current medical system is typically excellent at keeping us alive in a crisis (like if we have a stroke or an accident). However, with underlying chronic illness, which is really what is responsible for putting us at greatest risk in this Pandemic, we are used to just getting medications, which often are just a band-aid treatment. Medications may slow down the damage, but they rarely turn any illness around.
GOOD NEWS? MOST EVERYTHING on this list CAN BE TURNED AROUND!
Our bodies WANT to be healthy. And we at Rosa know that IF GIVEN THE RIGHT TESTING, THE RIGHT EDUCATION and THE RIGHT COURSE OF ACTION, we can GET HEALTHY.
This Pandemic is a wake-up call in many ways. One major wake-up call is that it is making us all take a GOOD LOOK at the STATUS of our bodies. Have we been respecting ourselves enough to take good care of our bodies?
At Rosa Transformational Health, more than 500 people in the past 5 years have given their bodies the needed respect and have turned their health around. We know it can be done. We see it all the time.
You don’t need to have Type II Diabetes. You do not need to be obese or have these underlying diseases. If your immune system isn’t functioning well, there are most-likely reasons that, if addressed, can turn it around.
In fact, you don’t need to suffer with weight gain, fatigue, brain fog, poor sleep, inflammation, poor digestion, or pain. At Rosa, with the RIGHT ACTIONS, it is the NORM for these things to be corrected.
There is a lot going on right now. Maybe some big unknowns… Maybe this isn’t the right time…
THERE IS NO SMARTER TIME THAN RIGHT NOW. Give yourself the gift of health.
Here are some recommendations from the Rosa Team and our International Functional Medicine Expert Colleagues:
The Rosa Community Immunity Basket.
There are certain nutritional deficiencies that can give our immune systems a disadvantage in fighting viruses. In the U.S., many of us, even if we eat ‘well’, because of a combination of deterioration of our food supply, food choices, underlying health issues, and increased burden of toxins on our bodies, have deficiencies. In addition to correcting deficiencies, there are certain foods, herbs, and other nutrients that can greatly aid our immune systems in preparing for a viral invader and winning over a viral invasion.
Dr. Laura has put together a ‘basket’ of items you may want to have on hand. Some items should be a part of your daily regimen. Other items may be kept aside in case you have a suspected exposure, or you start to have symptoms. It is a little tricky: this virus will be circulating for many months, and we likely don’t need the ‘big guns’ during this whole period. However, the virus enters our bodies silently and can take up to two weeks to build enough strength to cause symptoms. This means that we each need to evaluate ourselves—our risks, our comfort levels, our finances—and create a two-phased approach to prevention:
Phase 1: Prevention with no known exposure to the virus. Use lower doses.
Phase 2: Prevention after known exposure or onset of symptoms. Bump up to higher doses,
We are sharing a good graphic from The Institute of Functional Medicine that describes many of the nutraceuticals we would recommend having on hand. During Phase 1, we would opt for a smaller number and dose of these options; During Phase 2, you may want to have as many of these on board as possible, at the higher recommended doses. Below the IFM chart is an additional list of nutraceuticals that we at Rosa additionally recommend considering.
Additional Suggestions from Dr. Laura
1. Mushrooms. Many mushrooms have very strong immune-boosting and anti-viral qualities, including Reishi, Chaga, Maitake, etc. There are several good mushroom immune complexes, available at your local health food store or online. We recommend using these both in Phase 1 and Phase 2.
2. Zinc. 15-25mg/day Phase 1; 25-40 mg/day Phase 2; Strong anti-viral properties. Find a Zinc supplement that includes a very small amount of copper 1-2mg because zinc long term without copper can cause copper deficiency.
3. Daily Probiotic. The health of our gut is essential to immune system function.
4. Oregano Oil. Also called Oil of Oregano. Must be food grade, 100% pure. Comes in liquid or capsules. 600mg daily in 1-2 doses, or 2-4 drops twice daily diluted in a glass of liquid for 10 days. Oregano oil is a very potent anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial.
5. If you have underlying lung issues, there are several herbal tonics that can support the immune function in the lungs. They vary widely. I recommend Natura Products Bronchial and Lung Tonic, which can be of gentle assistance to the healing of lung tissue.
6. Important: Regarding the use of Elderberry, which is in the IFM chart, there is quite a bit of controversy, because the mechanisms of action may increase some of the more inflammatory pathways that we are trying to avoid. Dr. Laura recommends NOT using elderberry during acute Coronavirus illness. Elder leaf is considered by some experts to be safer and a good alternative.
Additional Dietary and Lifestyle Prevention:
- Minimize your underlying health conditions.
- Minimize added sugar and elevated blood sugars. They depress your immune system.
- Avoid foods that you know you don’t tolerate. They are stressing your immune system.
- Dairy and wheat are two of the most inflammatory foods in the American Diet. They can cause inflammatory reactions even if you don’t feel it.
- Stay organic/non-processed as much as possible. Minimize toxins.
- Stay well-hydrated.
- Get adequate sleep. Your immune system loves sleep.
- Move your body. Breathe deeply often. Get outside and enjoy nature.
- Minimize stress! I can’t stress this enough! Increased cortisol crashes your immune system.
- Ginger, Garlic, Coconut Oil, fermented foods like Kimchi, sauerkraut, lots of whole fruits and veggies. Eat the rainbow!
We hope this helps you to optimize your body and your immune system to be best prepared for anything that might come along, including COVID-19.
At Rosa, we work with people who are frustrated, debilitated, or concerned about their current health conditions. We empower them with the knowledge, structure, and support they need to turn their health issues around!
To learn more, book a FREE DISCOVERY CALL with Dr. Laura Robin
by clicking on
OR call Rosa Transformational Health at 541-816-4336
OR visit our website at www.RosaHealth.com